Sunday, September 8, 2013

Spoon Bread Recipe Southern Appalachian Style

It's been another rough week illness wise. Don't know what I do to make this illness jump on me and beat me up with both feet. It happens and I survive the episodes, just it plays havoc with the things I want to do. I have several posts I am working on and I promise to get more up this week. But in the meantime, recipes are easy.

I made Spoon Bread today. It went very well with our Sunday supper of ham, sweet potatoes, green beans and corn. No extra energy is needed since I try to cook something for Sunday supper every week anyway and all I had to do is take a picture of it to share it on the blog.

I cook very little during the week but we still keep our family Appalachian tradition of Sunday Supper. Kith and kin know at my house you can join us for a good old fashioned meal on Sunday. Many bring dishes to contribute especially when I'm having episodes. It's our time to get together every week with family and friends. I rest up for it every week and feel really blessed to have my family.

For those of you that don't know the difference between dinner and supper, in my family....dinner is lunchtime, supper is late in the evening. Many like the noon time dinner after church. I kept finding if I made dinner, folks still just didn't show up until late afternoon on Sunday. In the modern world supper works better for us.

Spoon Bread is a type of cornbread. The taste in it's original recipe, reminds me sort of tamale coverings but better. You just have to make it and try it because I can't describe what Spoon Bread tastes like.  You can cool it completely and it will slice or you can spoon it out hot or warm.  Some folks like it sweet and you can add sugar to the recipe. Some season it with cinnamon. Some like to add pepper before cooking it. I use the original recipe and let folks season it themselves. I just like to add butter to it on my plate.

This recipe came from my friend Geraldine over 30+ years ago. It was her grandmother's recipe. My grandmother made it too but I never had her recipe.

Spoon Bread Recipe Southern Appalachian Style
1 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon butter (can use lard or bacon grease)
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups boiling water
Pour corn meal, salt and butter (or lard) into bowl. Add boiling water and beat until smooth. Break egg into mixture. Add milk into which baking powder has been dissolved. Mix well. Pour into buttered 1 quart baking dish. Cook 400 degrees for 30 minutes. You can check by inserting a toothpick into the center and if comes out clean it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment