Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mrs. Imhoff's Apple Dapple Cake Recipe

Well, if all I want to accomplish gets finished, I think I will live a long time. CFS beating me up again. Wish I knew a cure, because it sure does hamper me in doing what I want to do.

This will be a post for an apple cake I make several times a year. I've shared it hundreds of times. It was handed down to me...oh....30 years ago. It's been brought to my attention that maybe I need to put all these handed down recipes in a book. I have a lot of collected recipes. As the family historian along with the pictures, etc. came cook books and scraps of recipes written on pieces of paper.  In the early 80's I took all those scraps of recipes and typed them on 3X5 cards. Filled 2 3X5 boxes.  I don't know if I have it in me to get a whole book together but it would be an interesting concept.  There are black walnut recipes, wild game recipes and fruit cake. Now I'm not talking about the hard as a rock fruit cake that you buy in the store. I'm talking about one you make starting 6 weeks before Christmas and soak in bourbon whiskey.

While I am pondering on this and what all that would entail... I promised my favorite apple cake recipe. I have about 5 apple cake recipes, one you make in canning jars to store. But this one is my favorite.



Mrs. Imhoff's Apple Dapple Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups cooking oil
Mix Well
Add sifted dry ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. of baking soda, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg. Add 2 tsp. Vanilla extract.

Mix well and add: 3 cups chopped apples, 1 cup chopped walnuts, (Optional you can add 1/2 to a 1 cup raisins. My dad liked raisins in his apple cake.) The cake batter will be thick to allow for the cooking of the apples. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes in greased and floured straight side tube pan.  Cool completely. Glaze over.

Glaze: In a small pan add,
            1 stick butter or margarine
            1 cup brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar for the cake in the picture but it doesn't matter!)
            1/4 cup cream (I use evaporated milk)
Mix well. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Pour over cake taking a spoon to cover the entire outside of the cake. The glaze will slightly harden as it cools.

That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment