|John David Kitts picture courtesy of Verla Barr Kitts|
Many YEARS ago
Here are the battles that the regiment fought in between the time of his enlistment and his capture.
1. Weather was very bad during the winter of 1862 and early spring of 1863 - the unit stayed encamped at Camp Zirkle near Salem, VA during this period.
2. The regiment manuevered around Virginia during the spring of 1863.
3. In late spring the unit began moving north towards Pennsylvania.
4. Early July 1863, the unit fought at Gettysburg. There was a cavalry battle on the third day of Gettysburg that the 16th was involved in. One of the Union regiments that the 16th fought against was commanded by George A. Custer.
5. They fought at Droop Mountain on November 6, 1863.
6. In January 1864, they fought in skirmishes around Wayne County, WV.
7. On February 14 they engaged the 14th Kentucky Infantry and the 39th Kentucky mounted soldiers in Lawrence County, KY.
8. There were cavalry battles fought around Lynchburg in June 1864
9. Fought at Hagerstown on July 7, 1864.
10. Fought at the Battle of Monocracy on July 9, 1864
11. Fought at Winchester on September 19, 1864
12. It would have been during some of these actions that Kitt was captured.
Hope that helps.
|Lutheran Church Burke's Garden VA|
|Me at the Church last summer|
|Minnie Kitts Perdue|
|Susan Hall Kitts Wife of John David Kitts|
|View from Cemetery Hill Lutheran Church Burke's Garden VA|
|Burke's Garden Lutheran Church formed 1828|