Friday, December 4, 2020

Hillbilly Elegy Movie is out....

 I did a review of what I thought of the book here somewhere. I just had a problem with that book. I know it was J.D. Vance's perspective BUT.....it went mainstream and seemed he blamed the troubles of his life on where he and his family were from.  There are many stories of rags to riches in Appalachia. Dolly Parton comes to mind, we LOVE that story.   Ron Howard did a wonderful job on the movie but it's the story itself that has most of us in a dander. 

Here we go again....Appalachia is now known for poverty and drug abuse, when those two issues are nationwide.  Can't we get a different story out there to go mainstream? 

On another note, Glenn Close did an excellent job...that character reminded me of my own mother right down to the hair and the glasses. Only thing... my mother NEVER wore "jogging" pants and NEVER a T shirt. T shirt were men's clothing and her religious background...you didn't wear men's clothes. It could be a pullover shirt, but they had to be made for women, had to fit and they had to be part of a suit and had to match.... with shoes. 




We will live with Hillbilly Elegy for a LONG time....but I hope Mr. Howard gets to work on another story of Appalachia. One of a different story. As a master film maker that would be an honor.   Here read this:  What is an Appalachian?

No comments:

Post a Comment